Wednesday 30 September 2009

TENERIFE THE 2009 JR CLASSIC

Pictured STEFF landlord Wild GEESE, Billy and Winner of JR CLASSIC Mike Roberts


A long weekend in Tenerife with twenty guys means golf, sun and sangria... And The Social Golfer enjoyed plenty of all three.
First the Golf............ my performances were 38 points Friday, 15 points Saturday, 30 points Sunday... Can you guess which night I got absolutely slaughtered on and The Bin men had
to get me home............ On Friday we played The Links 9 and he North Course 9 at Golf De Sur..also this included THE CHARITY GOLF EVENT run by THE WILD GEESE IRISH BAR... Mein host Steff deserves every praise for his unstinting support of the Childrens Charity in Tenerife and I was delighted to denote a pack of books and Social Golfer Tee Shirts to raise further funds for such a worthwhile cause.

The Golf De Sur was by far the best we played this trip although The Greens a little slow...
It has improved since I first visted 4 years ago. ( Review in first book THE SOCIAL GOLFER)
On Saturday we played Los Americos, my first visit. I was pie eyed and Could not see my ball. I was lucky to score 15 points
The 18th at Los Americos, a fine closing Par 5
This course should be a pearl.... it came highly recommended and indeed its location and layout are exceptional. The Greens however for the Start of their season were a disgrace. Shambolic putting was enountered by all. They were probably the worst Greens I have encountered in my Golfing Career.
The last day we returned to Amarillo, set on the coast, I particularly find this course appealing and with the wind blowing a real challenge. Once again the Greens disappointed but I still enjoyed this far more than Los Americos, but then again I was sober an Stan had given me a sleeping pill instead of pain killer, no wonder I was chilled.
As a Resort, The Island of Tenerife is struggling, The Euro is now making this an expensive place to visit. It has done little to change my original opinion in my First Ratings that it may be ideal for a BOYS TRIP , but I am sure Cyprus, Maderia would be preferred choces for Matron and I..
Sadly, I feel, presumably as the Economic Impact has affected summer bookings, The Golf Courses are being neglected. I would not at moment advice anyone to visit just for the Golf.... Golf and Night Life, perhaps.... but there is better golf to be had and for a lotc heaper around The Med.

No comments:

Post a Comment