Saturday 23 January 2010

THE WREST POINT INTERNATIONAL MASTERS

After Singapore we flew straight to Tasmania for this prestigious event. I had last played in 2008 and finished way down the field after scoring 18, 25 at Royal Hobart followed by two 30 point hauls at the Tasmania Golf Club for just 93 points. After two rounds I was in fact last in 08 so clearly there was plenty of scope for improvement.

First the plain Statistics, starting at Tasmania this time I compiled 32 and 28 points, so exactly the same points as 08 at Hobart i round 3 I scored 35 points followed by a final round of 29 points finishing on an extremely credible 124 points finishing 4th. I was delighted with the end product which could have been higher had I played the easier stroke index holes better.


The 11th at Tasmania a Par 3 (SI 18) just 124 yds downhill

at Tasmania I compiled just one point at the 11th and 0 points at the first (SI 17) and these two effectively cost me second place. I had been using sponsored yellow top flite balls in all competition and on day 1 at the first sliced my ball on to the driving range which normally would have been a simple wedge on to the green except my yellow ball could not be found amid hundreds of yellow range balls, a costly error which at the time seemed very funny to my fellow competitors.



The magnificent 3rd at Tasmania often compared with the 18th at Pebble Beach, I will soon be able to pass accurate assessment on that!!!!!!!!

In 2008, I thought Tasmania in better condition than Hobart but not this year. The drought had made the fairways exceptionally dry and bare but in fairness the greens were quite exceptional. At Hobart I had played myself into position in the final round scoring 18 points on he back 9 but failing to score at the 18th when a par would have give me a share of 2nd.

the clubhouse at Hobart were Jack Nicklaus won the 1971 Australian Open and I blew runners up spot in the Wrest Point Masters.

Hobart played better and fairer this time and the Greens although a touch slower were again quite exceptional and very fair to all competitors. a could have, should have week, makes me want to return but guess thats one for the future. I would recommend anyone visiting Hobart to play both course as they do compliment one another, are both friendly approachable clubs with good practice facilities and very fine clubhouses and 19th hole, clearly essential to all Social Golfers. Finally thanks to all my playing partners, I met some lovely people again this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment